Gaudenzia was founded in 1968 by a conscientious group of community members who wanted to help themselves and each other overcome the challenges of drug and alcohol use. They soon learned that a collective group was much stronger than an individual, struggling alone.
Over the next 53 years, Gaudenzia began serving those in need of treatment for substance use and co-occurring disorders, becoming one of the nation’s first providers with programs designed to meet the needs of pregnant and parenting women, populations affected by HIV/AIDS, and individuals with criminal justice involvement.
Today, Gaudenzia is one of the largest non-profit substance use and co-occurring disorders treatment providers in the northeast United States, serving Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and the Washington, D.C. areas.
Gaudenzia aspires to connect individuals and families to addiction and mental health treatment so they can attain long-term recovery and achieve a fulfilling life embraced by a broad community of mutual support.
Gaudenzia’s Treatment Model incorporates evidence-based, person-centered therapeutic approaches to deliver care that is gender-responsive, trauma-informed, and culture-informed.
Our services include:
- Detox and Withdrawal Management Treatment Programs
- Residential Treatment Programs
- Low-Intensity Residential Treatment/Halfway House Accommodations
- Men’s Treatment Programs
- Pregnant and Parenting Women’s Treatment Programs
- Intensive Outpatient (IOP) and Outpatient (OP) Treatment Programs
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
- Recovery Support Services
- Criminal Justice Services
- Prevention Services
Our Operating Principles
We, as members of the Gaudenzia Team, are committed to these principles. They guide the way we perform Gaudenzia business, every day.
- We hold client care as our top priority.
- We assume good intentions.
- We are present, we connect, and we communicate with transparency, dignity, and respect.
- We make data-driven decisions with courage, challenge the status quo, and find innovative ways to grow Gaudenzia and each other.
- We support each other publicly and privately in all circumstances.
- We provide and accept constructive, honest, respectful, and timely feedback with an open mind and without personalization.
- We operate with integrity, focus on outcomes, and have a bias for action.
- We follow through on agreements and honor commitments prioritized with a sense of urgency — someone’s life may depend on it.
Why The Name Gaudenzia?
Gaudenzia is a story of a legendary horse.
The half-Arabian mare came from humble beginnings, but a young boy saw her potential and trained her for the world famous Palio horserace, held annually in Siena, Italy.
In a crucial moment, she lost her jockey to a fall, but Gaudenzia regained her footing and carried on, ultimately winning the race.
Her story represents hard work, hope, and the courage to keep going against all odds.
That’s why we chose Gaudenzia as our namesake. No matter what comes your way, never give up and try to realize your full potential.
Combined, Gaudenzia’s executive leadership team has more than 300 years of experience in their respective fields of study and practice. We are proud to attract some of the best and brightest in the field to help us fulfill our mission of helping individuals with substance abuse problems.
Every year, Gaudenzia produces an Annual Report which highlights our clinical and professional accomplishments, and commitment to the field of substance use disorders and related illnesses.