Helpline Available 24/7
Call (833) 976-4357

Two Gaudenzia Locations Recognized as Top Addicition Treatment Centers in U.S. by Newsweek

Table of Contents

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (August 18, 2023) — Gaudenzia Inc., the largest non-profit provider of treatment for people with substance use and co-occurring disorders in the Northeast, saw two of its facilities earn a spot in Newsweek’s 2023 list of America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers. Gaudenzia’s Community House for Women and Children, located in Erie, PA, and Gaudenzia Diagnostic & Rehabilitation Center (DRC), located in Philadelphia, PA, were among 360 treatment centers named to the list.  

The announcement comes as Philadelphia and Erie continue to grapple with an addiction epidemic like much of the country. According to the federal government, over 106,000 people died from drug-involved overdose in 2021 in the US as millions more struggle with substance use disorder.  The need for evidence-based treatment is paramount in helping save lives. Gaudenzia, which has over 50 facilities in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and Washington D.C., treated over 15,000 clients last year alone.

“Gaudenzia is excited to be represented on this list,” said Dr. Dale Klatzker, Gaudenzia President & CEO. “This is a testament to the dedication of our team members and the courage of those we serve as they embark on their journey of recovery. It’s an honor to be recognized as we work toward achieving our mission of promoting long-term recovery to any person in need, regardless of their individual circumstances.”

These two locations serve unique, often overlooked populations. Community House offers substance use disorder treatment for pregnant or parenting women with dependent children.  This program reduces critical barriers to treatment by providing the opportunity for mothers to bring their children with them while undergoing treatment, and in some cases, reunify with those in foster or kinship care 

Gaudenzia DRC provides evidence-based treatment and supportive services to promote the recovery and reintegration of individuals exiting the criminal justice system. Gaudenzia DRC has long partnered with the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections (PA DOC) to assist individuals in their successful re-entry to the community and deflect them from returning to incarceration. The agency offers a full continuum of co-located substance use disorder (SUD), mental health, and supportive services designed to treat behavioral health diagnoses and address criminogenic needs.

Gaudenzia’s facilities provide evidence-based, person-centered substance use disorder treatment services to individuals and families impacted by SUD, including women and children, individuals with complex medical needs, individuals with co-occurring psychiatric diagnoses, justice-involved individuals, and more. Services range from withdrawal management and residential treatment to outpatient programing and affordable housing including medication-assisted treatment (MAT) at all treatment levels of care.

This is the fourth edition of the ranking of America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers in the U.S.  This list is compiled from 25 states with the highest number of treatment centers, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).  The score for each treatment center is determined by two categories: a “reputation score,” which comprises recommendation and quality scores collected from over 4,000 surveyed medical professionals which account for 80% of the total score; and the remaining 20% is an accreditation score based on data provided by SAMSHA.

For the complete list of recognized locations, visit  America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers 2023 (



Gaudenzia, Inc. is one of the largest nonprofit substance use and co-occurring disorders treatment centers in the United States, with 51 facilities operating in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. The agency serves about 15,000 individuals annually and operates 120 programs providing a full continuum of care. Since 1968, Gaudenzia has provided specialized services and programs to for all demographics, including pregnant and parenting mothers, adolescents, people with substance use and co-occurring disorders, and more. Those seeking help can call Gaudenzia’s 24/7 Treatment and Referral HelpLine at 833-976-HELP (4357). For more information, visit  

Table of Contents